Did you move to the Czech Republic due to the war?

Finding yourself in a foreign country far from home can be very difficult. We'll give you information on your rights and obligations, and let you know where and how to navigate all necessary obligations so that you don't feel like you are alone. You will also learn what you need to do first.


Legal residence in the Czech Republic

A visa is not necessary

If you are a citizen of Ukraine, you do not need a visa for a short-term stay in the Czech Republic, you can enter the Czech Republic only with your biometric passport. You can then stay in the Czech Republic for 90 days without applying for a visa or other residence permit. However, in this case, you will not receive any financial assistance, nor can you work legally in the Czech Republic.


Important: Even if you are staying here without a visa, you must register (declare your residence) with the Police of the Czech Republic – at the Department of Residence of Foreigners of the Foreign Police Department within 3 days of entering the territory. All foreigners are required to register with the Foreigners Police. If you are staying in a hotel or hostel, the registration will be arranged by the accommodation provider.


Temporary protection

If you were staying in Ukraine before 24 February 2022 and then left Ukraine, you can apply for so-called temporary protection not only in the Czech Republic (but also in other EU countries except Denmark). Temporary protection is a residence permit that allows you and your family to live temporarily in the Czech Republic and gives you a number of rights.


What to do first, upon arrival?

The first thing to do upon arrival to the Czech Republic is to contact the Regional Assistance Centers for Ukraine (KACPU), which were set up specifically for the purpose of registering Ukrainian citizens arrived in the Czech Republic due to Russian aggression. At KACPU, you will be able to process not only the compulsory registration with the foreign police (declaration of residence), but also temporary protection, as well as help you with other issues important for life in the Czech Republic (such as housing in some regions).



Once you have applied for temporary protection, you can apply for a humanitarian benefit so that you have the financial means to provide for your basic needs. At the same time, temporary protection means you are covered by public health insurance, which is paid for by the state for the first 150 days. You also have access to the labor market, so you can look for a job without restrictions and do not need to get a work permit.


Important: Do not forget to report any changes!


You are obliged to report not only a change of address (more than 15 days) within three working days but also a change of personal information or passport. You can report changes in person or by post, but you cannot do it by email. Fill in the form and take it or send it by post to the Asylum and Migration Policy Department of the Ministry of the Interior (to the catchment office according to your place of residence). Outside of Prague, you can also report changes to KACPU.

Attention! The form has two pages. On the second side of the form is the accommodation certificate to be filled in and signed by the owner of the property.


Important: If you have a valid residence permit in the Czech Republic (long-term visa, long-term residence permit, employment card, or blue card), you are not entitled to temporary protection. Therefore, make sure you renew your residence permit in time to ensure that you can continue your stay in the Czech Republic regardless of the situation in Ukraine. If you lose your residence permit (or, for example, do not renew it in time), you will not be forced to return to Ukraine because of the war, but you will be issued with a 'sufferance visa'. While this visa will allow you to stay in the Czech Republic until the end of the conflict, your rights in the Czech Republic will be quite limited. For example, you will not be able to work in the Czech Republic on the basis of this visa.


Do you need help or advice on your matter? Contact the network of Integration Centers and NGOs across the Czech Republic for free advice.

Sources of information:

Ministry of Interior of the Czech Republic

FRS website