In this article, you will learn

  • information about health insurance
  • where to find your GP (General Practitioner)
  • how the healthcare system works in the Czech Republic


 By law, everyone residing in the Czech Republic (Czech citizens and foreigners) must be insured - to have properly paid and valid health insurance. The insurance covers most of your medical costs, but in some cases, there are extra charges for extra medical care and medicines.


Temporary protection and health insurance

If you are a temporary protection holder, you are part of the public health insurance system. During the first 150 days of temporary protection, the state pays for your insurance.


If you are between 18-65 years old, you must contact The General Health Insurance company of the Czech Republic within 8 days after the expiration of 150 days (150 + 8 days from the granting of protection) to address the issue of further payment of health insurance.

  • If you are employed, your employer pays for your insurance.
  • If you are registered with the employment office, the state pays for your insurance.
  •  Otherwise, you are a self-payer - you are obligated to pay the minimum deposit for health insurance, which amounts to 2,722 CZK per month for the year 2023.


Sufferance visa and health insurance

If you are staying in the Czech Republic on the basis of a sufferance visa, applying for international protection, or have been granted international protection, you are also part of the public health insurance under the same conditions as stated above.


How to choose your insurance company?


There are seven health insurance companies that you can choose from:

and the following 6 employee insurance companies:


Make sure that the health center or doctor you visit has a contract with your health insurance company. You can do so by asking the doctor directly. That way you will ensure that your health insurance company will reimburse your expenses.

Always carry your health insurance card with you in case you need urgent medical care.


Change of health insurance company

If you wish to change your insurance company, you can do so once a year. According to the time when you request a change, you will become a client of the new insurance company either on July 1st (if you apply for re-registration between January 1st and March 31st) or January 1st (if you apply for re-registration between July 1st and September 30th). Don't forget to inform your general practitioner about the change of insurance company. 


Registration with a doctor


To be able to contact a specialist whenever you need medical advice, you need to be registered with a general practitioner. The same goes for a dentist, and gynecologist (for women) as well as pediatrician and dentist (for children).


If you need help finding a suitable doctor, you can contact your health insurance company, which is obliged to provide you with a list of contracted doctors who accept new patients.


You can get the following preventive check-ups included in your public health insurance:

  • General practitioner - once every 2 years
  • Dentist - once a year (children twice a year)
  • Gynaecologist - 1x per year
  • If you need it, your GP will issue a referral to a specialist doctor (urologist, neurologist, diabetologist, physiotherapist, etc.).
  • You do not need a GP referral to see selected specialists. These include a  dermatologist, otolaryngologist, or ophthalmologist.


Do you need more information about medical care? Read an article about what to do in case of an emergency.


Sources of information: