This article explains who needs to be medically insured in the Czech Republic, the circumstances under which you need travel medical insurance, the conditions of medical insurance, how to apply and what documents you will need.


Who has to be medically insured?


If you have a permanent residence in the Czech Republic, you are required by law to be medically insured, but even if you do not have a permanent residence, you are still required to be a part of the public health insurance system if:


  • You are employed by an employer with a permanent residence in the Czech Republic,
  • You have a long-term stay permit with the purpose of scientific research,
  • You have been given an asylum in the Czech Republic,
  • You have been given an additional protection in the Czech Republic,
  • You have been given a permit to stay with the purpose of temporary protection in the Czech Republic,
  • You are a minor, who is in the child care system in the Czech Republic,
  • You have fulfilled the requirements given by the EU laws,
  • Your child is born in the Czech Republic and you have a permitted long-term stay (to the end of the month in which your child has reached 60 days of age),
  • You are a minor with a permitted long-term stay in the Czech Republic


Travel medical insurance


 You do not need a medical travel insurance if:

  • You are a citizen of one of these countries: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Cuba, Japan, Macedonia, Montenegro, Turkey and Serbia
  • You participate in: the Erasmus Mundus program, Fullbright scholarship program, European Voluntary Service of the EC Youth in Action programme
  • You are a holder of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued by another EU member state; or a GHIC card issued by the UK


Travel medical insurance for non-EU citizens who are applying for a long-term visa or a residence permit:


If you are a non-EU citizen planning to stay in the Czech Republic for more than 90 days, you must secure travel medical insurance. Here are the requirements:

  1. Upon Entry:
    • Sign up for travel medical insurance within 90 days of entering the Czech Republic.
  2. Application at a Czech Embassy:
    • If you are applying for a long-term visa or residence permit, you need to provide a proof of travel medical insurance
    • The coverage of your medical insurance must include necessary and urgent care for the first 90 days
    • Comprehensive medical insurance is required for the remainder of your stay
    • Alternatively, submit proof of comprehensive medical insurance for the entire duration of your stay
  3. Insurance documentation requirements:
    • Insurance must cover comprehensive health care
    • The insurance company must be authorized to operate in the Czech Republic
    • The insurance document must specify:
      • Coverage for the entire stay in the Czech Republic
      • The extend of the insurance coverage
      • An insurance benefit limit of at least 400 000 EUR for a single insurance event
  4. Additional Conditions:
    • The insurance must not exclude coverage for injuries or damage caused by intentional acts, your fault or contributory fault, or consumption of alcohol, narcotics, and psychotropic substances
    • If the insurance is obtained abroad, provide and official translation of the insurance policy and its general terms and conditions into Czech

You are not required a document on medical travel insurance while applying if:

  • You contribute to public health insurance (e.g. if it concerns a stay for the purpose of employment, proof of medical travel insurance is only required for the period of entry until the beginning of employment)
  • The costs for health care are covered by an international agreement
  • If you can prove that your health care is covered in another manner


Proof of travel medical insurance for EU citizens


Proof of travel medical insurance for an EU citizen and their family members (who are not EU citizens) can be:

  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
  • A certificate temporarily replacing the EHIC
  • A registration certificate
  • A card of an EU policy holder residing in the Czech Republic
  • A card of a policy holder living in the Czech Republic
  • One of the forms E 106, E 109, E 112, E 120, E 121